Updated since Apple has shown iOS5 at WWDC. I made out pretty well.
Here are a few things that I would really like to see Apple address with iOS5 and the iPhone. Many of these will help in the enterprise and some are just general improvements (all my opinions).
- As mentioned in a previous post – better notification system – Completely revamped. Finally.
- Better use of the lock screen. This ties in to the request for better notifications a little, but those little red numbered balls are useless when you have a PIN set on your phone and you have to unlock it to even get to the home screen. Give us info on the lock screen. – Yes!
- Even better could be an external notification of some kind, like an LED, to let me know it is even worth looking at the screen in the first place. – Yes. LED flash for notifications.
- Over The Air activation. Please. Connecting to iTunes is a pain when you are trying to roll out a large number of iPhones and iPads. – Yes!
- Over The Air iOS upgrades. Blackberry has been doing this forever and Android supported it from the start. – Yes!
- Select all capability in email. – Unknown.
- Please implement the ability to tap on a conference number in a Calendar item and have it dial the number, wait, then dial the extension – including the # character. Seriously, this is a huge miss when trying to take conference calls on the road. There is an app that does a decent job of handling this called ApptDialer, but this should be supported natively. If you don’t understand how useful this is you have never used a Blackberry. – Unknown. For now ApptDialer is working well.
- In Contacts, why can’t I look someone up from the Exchange Global Address Book and easily add them to my Contacts. A simple button that says – add to calendar like others do. Now I have to sms it to myself. – Unknown.
- And while we are on the Contacts/Exchange Global Address Book, how about pulling back more information than just name, title, phone number, and email address. Add the street address as well please. – Unknown.
- Rework some of the settings for better placement. Make it easier to enable/disable WiFi and Bluetooth, or at least get them in the same area of the menus. Move bluetooth up under WiFi in the main settings menu instead of placing it under the General section under settings. There are times when you need to get to those things quickly so save us a couple of steps. – Unknown.
- Customization of all sounds. I can’t believe that I even have to ask for this one. And let me use any song or sound that I have on the device for any alert or ringtone. I’ve already paid for the music and I want to use it for any sound that I choose. – Yes!
Those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. Which ones did I miss that you care about?
Score: 6 wishes granted, 5 unknown or no. Not too bad as the 6 granted are things that I really thought iOS needed, especially after using Blackberry and Android devices.